|Photo by Neff|
|Photo by Rubbermaid|
_For liquid and already cooked dishes plastic rigid container or Tupper ware are ideal.
_For liquid or sauces you can also use freeze bags or plastic container, but remember that that sauces and liquid increase their volume in the freezer, so don’t overfill.
_Fish and meats for their irregular form is best keep it in bags or in aluminium foil.
_Vegetables in plastic bags.
_Label your container with the dates and the product name in it.
How to freeze
|Poster by limegreen367|
Meat: Before you freeze you should be remove any fat excess and divide in size portions for no need to unfrozen a whole kilogram of meat that you won’t need soon.
Fish: If you fishmonger didn’t clean the fish, you should be clean it before freeze. Oily fish because have fat can be frozen just for 3 months. Salmon, hake and cod will lose in the unfreeze process.
Fruit: You must peel the fruit before and cover with sugar (250g sugar for 1000g of fruit) if not the texture and flavour will change too much. I peel the bananas and I cover in foil paper for make the perfect smoothie. No sugar needed in that case.
Bread: Just freeze bread suitable for freeze or those from an artisanal bakery, because much of the bread that is sold in supermarket was previously frozen.
Pasta: Just homemade fresh pasta or fresh pasta suitable for freeze like the bread. You can freeze pasta after cooking but the texture is no very nice.
Dairy: Semi-skimmed milk, butter and cheeses are also good for freeze with some exceptions.
Fresh Herbs: Washed and drained can be freeze until 6 months
|Photo by Alyssssyla|
* Whole milk because the fat can curdle and Soft cheeses also will lose.
* Cakes, if you make a cake keep in the fridge if you freeze the cake, when is unfrozen will become crumble and difficult to slice properly.
* Stews will lose flavours.
* Eggs, fresh eggs are not suitable for freeze, they lost texture and flavour. Same for mayonnaise. You only can freeze the white egg.
* Pasta and rice’s. Even they are part of a soup of a stew, the pasta or rice will lose flavour and texture.
* Fresh potatoes are not recommended because the texture will be very hard after defrosting, instead mash potatoes keep very well in the freezer.
How to Defrost.
- The best way to defrost your food is in the top shelf of your fridge until recover their fresh texture.
- Never defrost at room temperature or under running water because the food will reproduce bacteria.
- Using microwave is also a good method.
- Some vegetables like peas and beans can be cooked without defrost.